Thursday, August 21, 2008

Overheard. . .

A discussion between Paul and Rachel after Rachel described her favorite outfit we purchased during our back-to-school shopping spree today.

Paul: "Why don't you just wear jeans and a t-shirt? That's what I wore to school.
Rachel: "That's because you are a boy! You don't understand. School is like a fashion show, sort of, especially on the first day. You have to look perfect."

Can you believe she's only 10 years old? I don't remember caring much about clothes until 6th grade (oh yeah, I guess I was 11--close enough) Rachel and I did have a great time shopping today. Paul worked from home so we could get a few things before school starts next week.

When we got home, Rachel had two friends over and Spencer had a friend over and all the kids spent the afternoon on the trampoline with the sprinkler and on the slide with the water making a water slide. I have absolutely loved the trampoline this summer! It has kept the kids happy and busy all summer. Between that and the pool, our summer has flown by and been wonderful.

Speaking of the pool, I am happy to report that Spencer passed the diving test on Monday with flying colors. He had to swim all the way across the pool and tread water for one minute. He not only swam across the pool for the lifeguard but did it another three times just for fun. When I think of how much coaxing I had to do to get him to do any swimming at all at the beginning of the summer, it is so amazing to me what progress he has made this year. After he passed the test, Spencer loved going down the slide and jumping off the diving board and I was so excited to see him. He is really growing up faster than I imagined was possible. Anyway, I do love the pool--it has kept my kids entertained this summer. While I was at the pool this week I thought how sad it is that the summer is ending with its carefree days to be replaced with the regimented busyness of the school year. Well, we have a few more days to enjoy the sun and we will.

2 comments:

Mike and Jana Black said...

Sounds like Rachel's shopping experience was truly amazing!

Kerri said...

That was definitely a "truly amazing" comment! I laughed so loudly when I read it that the kids were all wondering what was going on around here.

Music Corner


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones