Thursday, September 13, 2007

Buckle Up!

I'm just about to put the kids in the car for the seventh and eighth time today (soccer practice) and it's getting old! You might be surprised but this job was easier when the twins were smaller. Courtney wants to do everything "by myself!" If I in any way touch her while she's climbing into the car, getting into her car seat, putting her arms in the seat belt straps or if I help her to buckle (she really can't do it and has to have help), she has a tantrum. Hence, I'm about to experience the seventh tantrum of the day. Hooray! I can't wait!

The excitement continues when I ask Rachel to help Spencer buckle up. She whines, "Why can't he do it himself?"--which he can--but I'm in a hurry because by this time, Courtney's been trying to climb into her seat for ten minutes, dang it! Then Spencer and Rachel proceed to fight about how "he's not pulling the seat belt over far enough" and "she's not doing it right." Meanwhile, Caitlin is rifling through my purse, pulling out my lipstick and rubbing it all over the driver's seat while I'm trying "not to help" kicking and screaming Courtney--yes, I accidentally touched her arm while leaning over the seat to put my arm between the older two kids. Finally, at wit's end, I threaten the two "big" kids with serious punishment if they don't get along immediately, hold Courtney down and strap her in, buckle up a lipstick laden Caitlin, wipe my seat off with a crumpled fast food napkin I find on the floor and zoom off. The crying continues throughout the car ride but we do manage to get where we're going. . . eventually. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Music Corner


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones