Yesterday was a new experience as I took both Rachel and Spencer to their first soccer practices of the season. I sent Rachel to her practice across the field and parked myself and the stroller on the sidelines to watch Spencer's first practice ever. As I pulled out the snacks to keep Caitlin and Courtney busy, I was amused and concerned as I watched Spencer interact and kick balls with 14 other little kids. During the warm up, the children did jumping jacks and I couldn't help chuckling as Spencer and several other teammates tried their best to jump and clap like the coach. They couldn't get their arms and legs to work together quite right but it sure was cute.
The team is a mix of boys and girls ranging from pre-k (Spencer) all the way through 2nd grade. That's a huge age and maturity gap! At the beginning, the coach had the team playing red light/green light while dribbling soccer balls. Despite instructions not to touch the ball with his hands, Spencer kept picking up and re-positioning the ball. However, as he listened more and continued playing, he stopped doing that and began figuring out what to do. I'm sure by the end of the season, he'll get it! Watching the entire team running together packed like sardines around the ball, all trying to kick it at the same time, I smiled as the coach said, "spread out" as if it made an ounce of difference. After the final scrimmage, where Spencer and another boy shoved each other in order to kick the ball (exactly what I was afraid of), I instructed Spencer never to push someone again, he replied, "but Mom, it's the way you play the game." I think he's been watching way too much football with Paul!
The nice thing about soccer practice this year is that Spencer's on the playing field now, not running away from me while I'm trying to take care of the twins. Last year, he kept running onto other fields while games were in play and I'd have to furiously push the stroller over the rough turf and chase him like a mad woman to catch him. So things are getting better! And, overall, he had a great practice and made vast improvements over the course of a single hour.
Well, I have to end today's blog because the twins have just climbed inside the grand piano. Yes, you heard me right--they're under the piano lid sitting on the strings!
The team is a mix of boys and girls ranging from pre-k (Spencer) all the way through 2nd grade. That's a huge age and maturity gap! At the beginning, the coach had the team playing red light/green light while dribbling soccer balls. Despite instructions not to touch the ball with his hands, Spencer kept picking up and re-positioning the ball. However, as he listened more and continued playing, he stopped doing that and began figuring out what to do. I'm sure by the end of the season, he'll get it! Watching the entire team running together packed like sardines around the ball, all trying to kick it at the same time, I smiled as the coach said, "spread out" as if it made an ounce of difference. After the final scrimmage, where Spencer and another boy shoved each other in order to kick the ball (exactly what I was afraid of), I instructed Spencer never to push someone again, he replied, "but Mom, it's the way you play the game." I think he's been watching way too much football with Paul!
The nice thing about soccer practice this year is that Spencer's on the playing field now, not running away from me while I'm trying to take care of the twins. Last year, he kept running onto other fields while games were in play and I'd have to furiously push the stroller over the rough turf and chase him like a mad woman to catch him. So things are getting better! And, overall, he had a great practice and made vast improvements over the course of a single hour.
Well, I have to end today's blog because the twins have just climbed inside the grand piano. Yes, you heard me right--they're under the piano lid sitting on the strings!



1 comment:
Thanks for the chat. You are so much fun and make me laugh. I can just picture those girls inside the piano. Too much fun.
By the way, this site comes up entirely in Portuguese (except for what you write) for me. Funny.
Katherine
Post a Comment