Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Dinner Disaster?

We are hosting the High Priest Christmas Dinner at our house this year. When I was first asked, I was thrilled because I love to have things here and I love decorating my home at Christmas. However, now I am beginning to stress out about it! The Mains have hosted it at their house forever and it has been a very elegant affair with Cheri making scrumptious food, using real plates and silverware and a arranging a lovely program. So, of course, everyone looks forward to it every year. The Mains are going to be out of town and have a wedding in December so we were asked to have it at our house. Besides the "fancy dinner" precedent, we had to change the original date because of a conflict with the ward activity so now Paul's out of town that entire week, including the day of the party, so I truly will have to do everything by myself. I'm sure it will work out. . .I hope!

I have no idea what to make for the main dish. I planned on cooking a bunch of spiral hams but just discovered they are serving ham at the ward party the next week so now I'm freaking out because I only have one oven and it is usually a large crowd (30-40 people.) Paul says, "Just make the ham anyway." But I don't know if that's the right thing to do. So now I'm leaning toward a chicken dish that my family loves which we call Governor's wife Chicken. Someone also suggested the Chicken Crescent Rolls (a.k.a. Chicken pillows, chicken croissants) which I make for our family once in a while. They like it. What do you think? I'm great at baking just about anything but not a very good cook so if a recipe's complicated or has the potential to fail, I'll probably blow it. I do have great salad recipes and I can make delicious rolls in advance. I'm just concerned about the main dish. Let me know if you have any brilliant ideas for something easy and delicious that meets my "no fail" parameters.

5 comments:

Flying Princess said...

There is this great place called Wegmans that has all sorts of delicious food all prepared for you. I say, do some roasted chickens or crock pot roasts or something easy and classic for the main course. Then you can jazz the meal up with your awesome rolls, salads and side dishes. You don't have to keep up with the Mains-es, just be your-wonderful-self. Also remember that you have great friends that like to help even if it is just to watch your kids. AND there are great people who will be coming to this thing that could help also.

You are the best and I know that the whole thing will turn out FANTABULOUS!!! Just like you.

Watts Family said...

I second all of princess' advice. Do something you feel comfortable making (or buying) and do some awesome salads and rolls.

I don't think it's possible for you to have a dinner disaster, it will be great.

Were you really blogging at 3am???

Kerri said...

Yes, I was blogging at 3 a.m. That was after one of the kids woke me up and I couldn't go back to sleep so I got up and cleaned the kitchen and the family room and then wrote in the blog. I still couldn't go to sleep after that but I did go back to bed. Crazy, eh?

Flying Princess said...

I love that Watts knows how to properly write the possessive form of princess.

I miss you guys!

Watts Family said...

I miss you guys too!!!! I wish we could all get together and pretend to scrapbook while we really just had lunch and socialized :)

Music Corner


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones