Friday, November 16, 2007

Sleep deprived but still alive!

The last two nights have been interesting. On Wednesday night, I FINALLY had all the kids to bed and had fallen into a deep sleep when the phone rang. It was close to midnight and Paul was calling to tell me he was still in Newark (he arrived at 4:30 p.m. for his 6:00 p.m. flight to Raleigh which was delayed) but thought maybe he would get on a plane soon. I don't recall much of the conversation because it seems as if it incorporated itself into my dream. But something must have registered because I woke up in a panic at 3 a.m. wondering if Paul made it or not because I hadn't heard from him. So I called his cell phone--poor guy--and woke him up in North Carolina.

Once I'm awake, I have a hard time getting back to sleep so I finished a book I was reading and had just settled back to sleep when--CRASH!--we had the loudest thunder ever accompanied by a wild thunderstorm! Pretty soon, there were multiple kids in my bed. After what seemed like an eternity of rustling kids, kicking legs and children using me for a pillow, I slipped out and went to Rachel's bed. That lasted about 10 minutes until Caitlin came looking for me. At this point, it was 5:30 a.m., the storm had subsided, and I knew I had to get up soon so I carried all the kids back to bed (except Rachel--I made her walk) and got back into my bed. The sweet sleep didn't last long--Caitlin and Courtney were up by 6 a.m. as always!

Last night, Paul got home very late from his trip. So we put the dog in her crate, trudged up to bed about midnight and tried to snooze. After just a few minutes, the dog started whimpering, then began whining and then almost screaming. The ear-piercing whining lasted for hours. So Paul and I took turns over the course of a couple of hours taking her outside and checking her crate to see what the problem was (she normally loves being in the crate and happily goes in and stays in all night.) Finally, after a discussion (a.k.a. argument) to determine who was taking her out this time, I finally took the crate, her water (she seemed excessively thirsty) and put her in the laundry room with the crate door open. After a few minutes of whining and scratching the door, she quieted down. Yes!

In the morning, we discovered the reason she was whining. . . . When Caitlin and Courtney woke up at 5:30 a.m. (yippee!), Paul opened the laundry room door and discovered that Sugar had vomited multiple times, etc. all over the laundry room. Poor puppy! Paul then tripped over a bowl of extra cookie dough I planned to freeze in the library where some little one had left it. We are wondering if Sugar ate some of that. I'm happy to report that our dog is much improved today but I am feeling slightly exhausted.

No comments:

Music Corner


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones