Tuesday, December 2, 2008

An assembly I should have known about before it happened

A couple of weeks ago, Rachel came home from school and told me they had a co-ed assembly about reproduction. I had no notice from the school that this was happening. Thankfully (and I mean it because I know the Lord had a hand in this) I had discussed this subject with her for the first time the previous week. I had been praying about how to approach the situation for about a year off and on and the time had never seemed right until we had what I consider an inspired unplanned conversation about it. The timing was absolutely right and it wasn't awkward at all.

Am I the only person that thinks the school should have notified me about the assembly? I am considering writing a letter to the principle and the superintendent expressing my dismay that I was not informed about the event in advance. I believe I should have had an opportunity to review the material presented prior to the assembly and even have been able to attend it with my fifth grade child. Rachel was most uncomfortable because she had to hear this information with boys present. It would be less embarrassing for the kids if boys and girls were separated. I honestly believe that this type of information should be shared solely by the parents; however, if they are determined to present it to the children, parents should be notified in advance so they can have their own "talk" before the assembly.

I can't tell you how grateful I am that I talked to Rachel when I did. I know I was prompted to broach the subject when I did. It just is another example of the continuous parenting help I receive from my Heavenly Father on a daily basis. I am so grateful for His love for me and my children.

5 comments:

Terri_B said...

I totally agree that you should have been informed. I have often wondered when they would bring it up in school. I'm so glad that it worked out for you and that Rachel found out from you first.

To answer your question. I found the fake snow at the Dollar Tree (on 25th street) about 4 years ago. I save it every year because I just love it so much. It is around their Christmas stuff in the front of the store. I'm not sure if they still have it, but you should check anyway!

Also glad to know that you love Stove Top as well. What is it about that stuff?? It tastes so GOOOD!

Marianne said...

I completely agree. They should definitely have informed the parents that the assembly was going to be held. I don't understand the animosity toward parental involvement in education of children. It appears in some very unexpected (and quite disturbing) ways. It's a good thing that you acted on the inspiration you received!
Marianne

Flying Princess said...

Our school here is very liberal and so many of the parents are totally uninvolved in their kids' lives. They pull a lot of stuff like that: unannounced "reproduction" assemblies, questionable reading assignments, and "tolerance" discussions in class.

Many of the moms are appalled at the upper levels, thankfully, we have not had to deal with that in first grade. We have a ways to go before mine know everything. They still refer to that whole lower region as their "bummy," sometimes specifying front and back. Kids!

I may call on you when the time comes for these discussions in our house. Great job!

Mike and Jana Black said...

You should write a letter for sure. They should NEVER do those things co-ed and you should have known about it. Thank goodness for inspiration.

Amy Joy said...

Oh, I was wondering when I had to talk about that. Right now she cannot wait until Santa comes so I think I have awhile. I might need to come to a great mom like you for some help when the time comes. WHY, WHY would they do that coed! My step mom came to school with me that day and it was in 5th grade. We would love to come over on Christmas. I want to hear you sing:) My kids love music.

Music Corner


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones