Sunday, December 21, 2008

What a weekend!







Spencer, Caitlin, Courtney and Rachel with Santa Claus

Whew--what a weekend! Friday night, after spending the day enjoying the snowy weather with the kids, I took Rachel to the Civic Theatre to see "A Christmas Carol." One of Rachel's friends had a part and we enjoyed knowing someone in the play. I must have been tired, though, because I actually fell asleep during the performance! It was odd because I normally need perfect conditions to fall asleep but not Friday night. I had to keep waking myself up during the last act. The acting was excellent so I'm not sure exactly what my problem was! Rachel said my head was leaning backwards a couple of times.

Saturday morning, we took the kids to see Santa and eat breakfast with the ward. They had some fun performances, a live nativity and delicious food so it was a great morning. Afterwards, we had a string quartet practice. I spent the rest of the day shopping! I think I'm about done so it's a good feeling! We watched the BYU game--ARGH! I left during the third quarter to go to bed and I'm glad I did considering the outcome. Good grief. . .could their season have ended any worse? I don't think so!

Today was the big day: the annual Christmas Choir Presentation. This morning, we had an ice/freezing rain storm. The Bishopric called this morning to tell me we were going to delay sacrament meeting until 11:30 a.m. So I began calling the choir to tell them our practice time would be delayed a couple of hours and when I spoke to my accompanist, Cheri, she informed me that she had to leave to travel to the mission home and wouldn't be able to play for us (her husband is in the mission presidency.) I didn't feel panic but I wasn't quite sure what to do because the music is difficult to play, even for a seasoned accompanist. Almost immediately after I hung up with her, one of the choir members called to see what time choir was and I shared my predicament. He then told me his wife could play for us. Even though she's an extremely talented pianist, I wouldn't dream of asking her because her son just had a kidney transplant a week ago (a real Christmas miracle I'll have to share another day.) Anyway, she got on the phone and told me she was planning to go to sacrament meeting anyway and would be happy to do it. But then Cheri called me back to tell me she had changed her mind and she would play for us. What a crazy morning! Oh, another little snafu happened regarding the program this weekend--the narrator backed out at the last minute because he had to go out of town so I also had to find a replacement for him as well.
The side roads in town were very icy this morning. On the way to church, I started sliding down a hill heading right toward a parked car. As I slid, I prayed, "please don't let me hit the car" over and over again. Just as I felt a collision was inevitable, my car stopped. I was about 2 inches away from the other car. What a blessing!

So I arrived at church, feeling like all was well. After all, I had an accompanist and a narrator and the choir was ready to sing. However, when I got there, I was informed that one of our soloists was sick and couldn't sing. I wondered if I should ask someone else to do it, but because no one else knew the music well enough, I took her solo and did it myself. It wasn't the best performance but at least it was done.
The program flowed nicely and the music turned out very well. Our little string ensemble played prelude and I had them accompany a couple of songs during the program. We also had a harpist play with us during "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear." My favorite part was the primary and choir singing "Tiny King" together. The children sang so beautifully and the joy on their faces as they sang touched me. I really felt the spirit during our final song, "Silent Night." I hope it helped people remember the reason for the season and get them into a Christmas mood.
I better hit the hay! The kids have a two hour delay in the morning (so the roads can be cleared of ice) but there will be school so it's time to say goodbye.
I feel so blessed today! Even though there were a few challenges this morning, the Lord helped resolve them. I am so grateful for his constant care.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad everything ended up going well with the program. That is a big relief for you. All you are able to accomplish is amazing! I have heard from several people that the program was so inspiring and beautiful.

I'm glad you also made it safely. Donald was working and I didn't want to risk the roads after my bad experience with ice on Saturday going to church.

Congratulations, now you can relax (a little anyway)!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad everything ended up going well with the program. That is a big relief for you. All you are able to accomplish is amazing! I have heard from several people that the program was so inspiring and beautiful.

I'm glad you also made it safely. Donald was working and I didn't want to risk the roads after my bad experience with ice on Saturday going to church.

Congratulations, now you can relax (a little anyway)!

boys in the hood said...

Wish I could of been there to hear your choir...I'm sure it was amazing, since you were in charge! We had a beautiful program as well, we have a very talented ward. I'm so glad you didn't hit that car...the Lord really does answer prayers! Merry Christmas Kerri, miss you!

Flying Princess said...

You are (as always) amazing. I love reading your chaos summaries.

Music Corner


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones