Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Nightmare at Rose Inn

Last night's trip to Activity Days could also be called the Nightmare on Rose Inn! Yesterday went well until it was time to go to the church. Paul had a work dinner so that left me hauling all the kids to the church once again for the third time in a row. When we were getting into the car, Spencer moved his booster seat to Rachel's spot and she was not happy when I didn't make him move back because there were cheerios, crumbs, etc. where his seat once was. Her mini-tantrum which included throwing some crumbs around the car began the lovely evening.

We arrived at the church and things were fine for a while but because they now lock all the nursery toys, the kids soon got bored and began running around the nursery, screaming, climbing on tables and stacks of chairs and driving me bonkers as I tried to keep them safe and stay sane. My patience disappears at 8:00 p.m. every night but at home my children are all snug in their beds by then.

I finally decided to get in the van and strap the kids in their carseats and wait the last twenty minutes in the car for Rachel but by the time we put all the chairs and tables where they belonged, the twins had to go poddy. Spencer took off while we were in the bathroom but I couldn't chase him because the twins were busy doing their duty (for what seemed to be an eternity) so I went to find him as soon as we were done. Rachel came running up to me saying, "Where have you been? Spencer and I have been looking everywhere for you. He's outside." I cut her off there--"You left him outside by himself?" So I grabbed the twins, stuck them in the car, closed the doors, told Rachel to stay with them, enlisted others to search for Spencer and went looking for him myself because he wasn't where Rachel left him. I found him running around shoeless (but carrying his shoes) on the opposite side of the church. Finally I had them all in the car but Rachel and Spencer began fighting because Spencer was drinking Rachel's drink. While I was resolving the conflict, Caitlin and Courtney were sitting together in the front passenger seat (or so I thought). When I turned around to put them in their car seats, Caitlin handed me the rearview mirror which she had apparently pulled off the front window while my back was turned.

It's good the kids went right to sleep when we got home or I may have needed to give myself a very long time out! On the bright side, I did get to talk to several of my friends at the church and adult conversation is always a good thing!

No comments:

Music Corner


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones