Today Spencer suggested that we take the dog for a walk. Autumn has arrived in all its splendor so I happily agreed. We got our shoes on, unfolded the stroller, put the leash on Sugar and began our stroll. As we were walking, Spencer begged me, "Let's go to the lake" which is actually a river near our house as the crow flies but a bit of a walk for an almost 5-year-old. I suggested we just go to "the forest" (a walking path near our home) but Spencer insisted that we head to the river. I agreed after exacting a promise from him that he would not make me push him in the stroller in addition to the twins because there are some major hills. I knew if we walked as far as the river it would become an issue. Getting there wasn't too bad although about 3/4 of the way there, S told me it was boring. But after I suggested (with hope) that we turn around, Spencer suddenly remembered he really did want to go to the river so we pressed on.
Once we got to the water, the fun began. The kids began throwing rocks into the river which was fine until Courtney had a mishap. While running full speed toward the river to toss a rock, she fell on the concrete and hit her head. There was an audible kaboom sound accompanying the fall so I worried initially but after Courtney cried and cuddled me for about a minute, she was once again throwing rocks in the river. Then as we were heading up the boat ramp to leave, Caitlin took a running fall on the ramp and hurt her hand. After Caitlin's recovery, I got the twins back in the stroller and thought we were on our way back. But no! Of course, they had to use the port-a-poddy when they saw it which as you all know is always so very lovely!
FINALLY, we began our long journey home. I say long because it is almost all uphill and in some places very steep. After we got about 100 yards away from the river, Spencer began limping and told me his foot hurt and he couldn't walk anymore. So I had him climb in the stroller and sit on Courtney's food tray right in the middle of the stroller. This worked for about 3 seconds before Courtney decided she didn't like Spencer on her food tray and began shoving him. So to prevent further conflict, I had Spencer stand on the back of the stroller and I began pushing. I warned Spencer that when we arrived at the "big hill" he would have to walk because I couldn't push a stroller loaded with him AND the twins up a vertical slope and hold the dog leash at the same time. We got to the big hill and Spencer got off as requested but was falling way behind and could hardly walk. Finally, after we had walked up the hill for half an hour, I put Spencer back on the back of the stroller and huffed and puffed up the hill toward home.
We were about a block from home when Courtney climbed out of the stroller and wanted to walk. Spencer immediately jumped in her seat. Courtney flipped out and bit Spencer because he was in her "spot." Then Spencer pushed her away, thus causing her to cry hysterically. At this point, I was holding Courtney, pushing Spencer and Caitlin in the stroller and holding the leash. In desperation, I put Courtney on the stroller handle and had her hold on to me so I could have one hand to push the stroller and one hand to hold the leash.
The good news is that we eventually made it home. We had been walking for at least three hours. And poor Spencer, the limping was real. He had a couple of blisters on his heel. Boy, was it ever a walk to remember!
My Blogging Friends.
-
-
-
For work12 years ago
-
-
I have a Blog?15 years ago
-
-
Howdy, and Stuff12 years ago
-
-
-
Swiss Halloween13 years ago
-
Fire Swamp Parenting13 years ago
-
-
Slow and Steady12 years ago
-
Funny little...13 years ago
-
Cross Country Skiing14 years ago
-
Lincoln Dennis Black14 years ago
-
-
-
-
Jan 2314 years ago
-
-
-
Bobcat Badge!!!12 years ago
-
-
-
Grandma's 80th Surprise Birthday Party12 years ago
-
Issue 24113 years ago
-
Eden's mini photo shoot15 years ago
-
Snow play at preschool17 years ago
-
-
I Promise...14 years ago
-
easter 201313 years ago
-
Kalaupapa18 years ago
-
St. Louis15 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment