Sunday, October 28, 2007

Stake Conference & Steak Dinner, A Fabulous Feast!

Late Saturday morning, we headed north for Stake Conference. Because it's a bit of a distance and we had meetings both Saturday and Sunday, we stayed at the Residence Inn. When we arrived at the hotel, I realized I packed everyone's swimsuit but my own. Paul insists that I "conveniently forgot it" but I genuinely did leave it at home by mistake. It was amusing watching the twins cling to Paul while the other kids swam around him. It reminded me of all the times I took the kids to the pool by myself this summer.

After a very short time, Paul dashed off to his leadership meeting, leaving the little girls on the pool steps and Rachel and Spencer swimming. I watched them for about 1/2 hour (saving Courtney twice from going under as she played on the handrail) and herded them back to the room to get dressed. Finally, dressed, brushed and looking good, we headed to the car. While attempting to load the kids in the car, I had to chase Caitlin around in the muddy grass wearing high heels in the pouring rain but I did eventually manage to catch her and buckle her into the car. After stopping for food at Wendy's, I dropped the children off at a friend's home where I had arranged for a babysitter (she lives 2 blocks from the stake center) and drove to the stake center. There our little instrumental ensemble rehearsed in preparation for playing prelude for the meeting. We played and then enjoyed the excellent talks and spirit in the meeting.

We had a unique experience after I picked up the kids. As we were driving out of my friend's neighborhood, a big black bear ambled across the road right in front of our car. Talk about an exciting end to a Saturday night! The kids were thrilled. Spencer then spent the rest of the ride to the hotel telling us about dangerous bears with sharp claws and teeth.

Sunday morning began with the loud ringing of the wake-up call which not only woke me up but also Caitlin and Courtney. I got ready, got the twins dressed, set out Spencer's clothes and left the rest to Paul. I then made my way to the Stake Center for early Choir Practice. During the rehearsal, I directed the women's sectional but got to sing with the choir during the performance. It's really fun not to be the director once in a while and just sing. The conference uplifted me, gave me answers to my prayers and strengthened my testimony of the restored gospel. I am so glad we made the trip and made it an event for the family. I hope we're building positive religious memories for our children.

Our niece Melissa and her new husband, Chris, came home with us to celebrate Spencer's birthday. In an attempt to surprise Spencer, I secretly made a ship cake (with no instructions or mold) before we left for conference. I thought it looked pretty shoddy and unprofessional but when Spencer saw it, he loved it! Yay! We had a delicious steak dinner (i.e. Paul did most of the prep which makes it even tastier,) sang Happy Birthday, and watched as Spencer blew out his candles and opened his presents. Afterward, we spent the evening trying out Spencer's new toy ships and Legos. It's so great to have extended family nearby to celebrate special moments with our family. It truly was a weekend feast, both temporally and spiritually.

1 comment:

Flying Princess said...

I am glad that you had a great time at stake conference. I can't remember the last time we...anyway. Bob was bummed that he didn't get to socialize at church. I am so impressed (and jealous) that you saw a bear. We would be happy just to see a squirrel around here.

Music Corner


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones