Pictures from the Fish Hatchery with the kids last week
Courtney didn't want to pose
But Caitlin was happy to smile for me
Spencer did as well
It's after two in the morning and I can't sleep. I went to bed early tonight but Caitlin came in about 1 a.m. and woke me up and after lying in bed for an hour trying unsuccessfully to get back into a dream state, I decided to come down and write in my blog in hopes that it will get me tired enough to go back to sleep. In the last year or so, I have had this problem of not being able to get back to sleep when I'm awakened in the middle of the night. The good thing is that eventually I get up and do laundry or clean and it gets done because I don't have the usual daytime de-cleaners also known as my children.
Why haven't I been writing very often lately? Because my routine is the same every day and there's nothing exciting to report! I take the kids to school, I come home, I run them to soccer practice, piano lessons, play dates, activity days, etc. I take care of the little ones at home. I clean up after them. I do laundry. I prepare meals. I read scriptures, I say prayers. This is my life! It's so ordinary but I think it's little things that matter when raising children. When I hear Spencer saying an extra long family prayer, full of sincerity and small details or when I see the kids giving each other hugs or I hear Rachel teaching the younger kids about something or when they're all singing "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam" together, the mundane things I do seem worthwhile. So I just keep plugging away, hoping that somehow I can help my kids to gain testimonies and learn to put those testimonies into action. Some days are better than others but I just have to keep doing it, over and over again. Then I have to pray that somehow God will help them and inspire me to say and do the right things as we go about our very normal lives.
Today the twins kept getting into the sink and I changed their soaked clothes three times. I finally let them take a second bath this afternoon because they wanted to play in the water so much. But for some reason taking a bath isn't nearly as fun to them as playing in the bathroom sink or climbing into the kitchen sink and turning on the water because they were back at it again after bath number two. On the bright side, I hope all this hand washing and playing in the water will help them resist the illnesses going around, especially the ones going around our house. This weekend my three little ones all had a stomach virus and stayed home from church and today Rachel stayed home from school because she has a croupy cough, a fever and laryngitis. So maybe I should be grateful they're washing their hands over and over again as it's supposed to be the greatest deterrent to illness!
Well, this rambling has got to stop. I don't want to be a cranky, sleepy mommy tomorrow so I can focus on those mundane things that really matter.
Why haven't I been writing very often lately? Because my routine is the same every day and there's nothing exciting to report! I take the kids to school, I come home, I run them to soccer practice, piano lessons, play dates, activity days, etc. I take care of the little ones at home. I clean up after them. I do laundry. I prepare meals. I read scriptures, I say prayers. This is my life! It's so ordinary but I think it's little things that matter when raising children. When I hear Spencer saying an extra long family prayer, full of sincerity and small details or when I see the kids giving each other hugs or I hear Rachel teaching the younger kids about something or when they're all singing "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam" together, the mundane things I do seem worthwhile. So I just keep plugging away, hoping that somehow I can help my kids to gain testimonies and learn to put those testimonies into action. Some days are better than others but I just have to keep doing it, over and over again. Then I have to pray that somehow God will help them and inspire me to say and do the right things as we go about our very normal lives.
Today the twins kept getting into the sink and I changed their soaked clothes three times. I finally let them take a second bath this afternoon because they wanted to play in the water so much. But for some reason taking a bath isn't nearly as fun to them as playing in the bathroom sink or climbing into the kitchen sink and turning on the water because they were back at it again after bath number two. On the bright side, I hope all this hand washing and playing in the water will help them resist the illnesses going around, especially the ones going around our house. This weekend my three little ones all had a stomach virus and stayed home from church and today Rachel stayed home from school because she has a croupy cough, a fever and laryngitis. So maybe I should be grateful they're washing their hands over and over again as it's supposed to be the greatest deterrent to illness!
Well, this rambling has got to stop. I don't want to be a cranky, sleepy mommy tomorrow so I can focus on those mundane things that really matter.



No comments:
Post a Comment